If you have a few hours in Durango and are seeking fun-filled activities, here are some ideas in around the Business Improvement District.
- Take a trip down the Animas River Trail. The River Trail stretches 7 miles through Durango’s Animas River Greenway. The trail is an easy connection to many of our recreational areas, parks and open spaces, including the Durango Recreation Center, Powerhouse Science Center and more. Bike, ride, stroll. Click HERE for a map.
- Learn about the history of Durango with our Self-Guided Historic Walking Tour, pick up a map at the Durango Welcome Center.
- Check out the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum. The museum features a giant interactive train model, authentic cars and engines that rolled the rails for kids to explore, and many unique artifacts reflecting the history of the railroad. Located in the 500 block of Main Ave.
- Visit our amazing Powerhouse Science Center, which offers an educational and playful place for children of all ages. Offered are a wide range of programs, exhibits and activities designed to provide an entertaining and inspiring look at science and technology. Located at 1333 Camino Del Rio.
- Visit the Fish Hatchery and Wildlife Museum, May 15-September 15. The facility produces more than 1.3 million fish per year, and visitors can feed the fish via coin-operated dispensers. Inside, the museum features an intimate display covering the area's wildlife. Allow 30 minutes. Bring some quarters so you can feed the fish! Located at 151 E. 16th St.
- Stop by the Animas History Museum, which offers a variety of exhibits and program for all ages. The museum is housed in the former Animas City school building, and features an authentic restored classroom from the early 1800s. Located at 3065 West 2nd Ave.
- Explore the Durango Arts Center, which offers exhibits, theatre, events and more. Be sure to visit the art gallery for some unique local art. Located at 802 East 2nd Ave.
- Create some art. Paint pottery at the Clay Room at 2053 Main Ave., where kids can paint their own pottery! No reservations required. Kids can choose from different characters, bowls, piggy banks and more. Make beautiful Glass pieces at Get Fused Glass Studio at 600 Main Avenue Suite 112. Open to all ages 4 and up, where you can make your own unique fused glass piece. Located at 600 Main Ave., Suite 112.
- Wine Tasting at Four Leaves Winery. This quaint boutique winery adjacent to the historic Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Depot imports the highest quality grapes to handcraft, blend and ferment all its own wines on premise. Stop in for a wine tasting, a full glass of wine (or two), or pick up a bottle to take home. Located at 528 Main Ave.
- Chapman Hill Rink & Ski Hill. Ice skate at the rink October to April, and rollerblade during the summer months. Durango is lucky to have our in-town ski hill that offers two rope tows. Chapman Ski Hill opens in mid-December, weather permitting. Located at 500 Florida Rd.
- Raft or Tube down the Animas River. Check here for a list of local raft companies.
- Visit historic Downtown. Fantastic shops, galleries and restaurants. Looking for something extra special? Check out the Business Directory HERE to search for what you need.
- Recreate at the Durango Community Recreation Center. The 71,557 sq. ft. facility offers a variety of activities for the entire family, including an expansive aquatics area with a 160 ft. water slide and play structures. The kids will enjoy scrambling on the 30-ft. high rock climbing wall. And don’t forget the racquet ball courts and gymnasium. The Rec Center also provides a youth games space with fun activities such as air hockey, pool table and ping pong. Located at 2700 Main Avenue.
- Take a tour of our local craft breweries. Durango features six, award-winning craft breweries each with their own unique flare. Click HERE for a map.
- Enjoy free Concerts in Buckley Park (mid-June through the end of July). The Community Concert Hall brings free music to the park every Thursday, 5-7pm. This is a great family-friendly atmosphere offers an opportunity to kick back and relax. Bring your blankets or lawn chairs and picnic dinner. See the full line up at DurangoConcerts.org.
And for more information, be sure to visit with the friendly staff at the Durango Welcome Center, 802 Main Avenue.