1. Don't miss a trip to the Durango Silverton Railroad Museum. Admission is free! The museum has an interactive train model, authentic train cars for kids to explore, plus many interesting historical railroad artifacts. Click here for more information.
2. Visit the Powerhouse Science Center- Open year-around. The Powerhouse Science Center is educational and playful place for children of all ages with hands-on learning and interactive exhibits. Hours of Operation: Saturday 9am-4pm, and Sunday 12-4pm. Click here for more information.
4. Stroll or ride down the Animas River Trail. The river trail stretches 7 miles through Durango's Animas River Green way. The trail is a great connection to many of our parks and open spaces, including the Recreation Center, Powerhouse Science Center and more. Bike, ride, stroll down our beautiful trail. Click here for a map of the Animas River Trail.
5. Take a ride on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. This is an unforgettable experience to ride a coal-fired, steam-powered narrow-gauge train. It's an amazing experience that your family will continue to talk about years to come. Book your trip here.
6. Check out the Chapman Hill Rink & Ski Hill for more fun activities (500 Florida Road). You can ice skate at the rink October to April and Rollerblade during the summer months (Mid-May through Mid-September.) Lace up your skates every Friday for Disco Night from 6:30 to 9pm all summer long. The kids will love our little in-town ski hill that offers two rope tows. Chapman Ski Hill Ski Hill opens Mid December (weather permitting).
7. Visit our beautiful Recreation Center, located in the North Main District at 2700 Main Avenue. The 71,557 sq. ft. facility is filled with fun activities for the whole family. The facility has an expansive aquatics area with a 160 ft. water slide and play structures. The kids will enjoy scrambling over the 30-ft. high rock climbing wall. And don't forget the racquet ball courts and gymnasium. The Rec Center also has a great youth games space with fun activities such as air hockey, pool table and ping pong. Click here for more information.
8. Plan a trip to Mesa Verde National Park! Families will enjoy a trip to Mesa Verde to learn the history and sites of Ancestral Pueblo people who mad Mesa Verde their home for over 700 years. Ask how your child can become a Junior Ranger and participate in activities while visiting the park. Learn more here.
9. Enjoy an adventure down the Animas River with one of our local guide companies. River Rafting, and tubing is a great way to cool down in the summer months. Check out these guide companies for reservations or for equipment rental. Mountain Waters Rafting 303 W. College Drive (by Albertsons), Durango Rivertrippers and Adventure Tours, 724 Main Avenue, Mild to Wild Rafting & Jeep Tours 50 Animas View Drive.
Durango is filled with many family friendly restaurants. Check out a list here.
There is so much to do, you will need to plan extra trips to enjoy it all!
©2021 Durango Business Improvement District (BID)