Your local Itinerary for spending a day in Durango
1. Grab an amazing breakfast at one of our many fantastic restaurants. Some local favorites for a great sit down breakfast in historic downtown include Mahogany Grille, Lone Spur Cafe, Jean Pierre Bakery or the Durango Diner. Need something to grab and go? Check out Durango Bagel , Bread, Hermosa Coffee Roasters or Durango Joe's. In the North Main District check out Durango Doughworks, 81301 Coffee Roasters or Birds. Print off our breakfast and Coffee guide here.
2. Visit historic Downtown, where you will find fantastic shops, galleries, and restaurants. Looking for something extra special, check out our Shopping Directory where you can search for what you need.Pick up a Business Directory and Map from one of our Downtown Ambassadors or at the Durango Welcome Center.
3. Get to know the history of Durango with our historic walking tour. Check it out here.
4. Stop by the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train Museum. Admission is free! The museum has an giant interactive train model, real train cars and engines, and many interesting artifacts about the history of the railroad. Click here for more information.
5. Cool off in the Animas River. Contact one of our local rafting companies about scheduling a raft trip. (Durango Rivertrippers, Colorado Outback Adventures, Mountain Waters Rafting and Mild to Wild Rafting & Jeep Tours) Or cool off by tubing down the river. See our Tours & Equipment Rental Guide for specific companies offering rafting, tubing, rentals and tours.
6. Hungry for lunch? You can find everything from a quick bite to eat to fine dining downtown. Choose from local fast favorites in Historic Downtown Durango like Nini's Taqueria, Grassburger, RGP's Flaming Wraps, Fired Up Pizzeria and Rice Monkeys. Local and fast favorites in the North Main District include: Durango Doughworks, Serious Texas BBQ, Zia Taqueria, Bird's and Homeslice. See a full list of local fast restaurants in Durango. Looking to sit down and relax for lunch? Check out the patio at Ken & Sues, Carver Brewing Seasons of Durango or Steamworks. Check here for a full list of lunch spots in Durango. Print off our Restaurant made easy guide here.
7. Looking for some fun activities indoors? Check out the Durango Recreation Center located at 2700 Main Avenue in the North Main District! Whether you prefer a game of basketball, a walk on the indoor track, some time on the treadmill, an aerobics class, a swim in the lap pool, a soak in the hot tub, or just playing in the leisure pool, the Recreation Center offers something for everyone.
8. Check out Chapman Hill, (500 Florida Road- 375-7396) our small in- town ski and skate facility. During the winter enjoy ice skating in the rink. In the summer the rink is used for rollerblading. Check out disco night on Friday and Saturday from 6-9:30pm. Cost is $10 including skate rental.
In the winter the ski hill opens in December, weather permitting. In the winter, there is also a small tubing area to the far right of the building.
9. Tour of our local craft breweries. Durango is lucky to have five craft breweries all with their own unique flare. Click here for the Beer, Wine and Spirits tour for a full list of the breweries and other craft beverages.
10. Take a stroll on the Animas River trail. This trail system stretches nearly 7 miles through Durango's Animas River Greenway. The trail is a hard surface shared use path that provides easy access to a variety of parks and open spaces. You can access the trail from a variety of locations in Historic Downtown or in the North Main District. Click here for a trail map. You can pick up a map at the Durango Welcome Center or through one of our Downtown Ambassadors during the summer months.
11. Sit down and relax at one of our fine restaurants for dinner. From fine dining to kid friendly, Durango has an array of great places to eat. Local favorites include , Ken & Sues, Seasons, Eolus, Mahogany Grille and El Moro. Visit our restaurant directory for a full list of local restaurants.
12. Enjoy a nightcap drink at the historic Dimond Belle Saloon where you will find nightly entertainment and fine cocktails or stop by The Office Spiritorium, a locals favorite for a more intimate experience with fine cocktails and regular entertainment. Looking for more great options for fantastic cocktails and and atmosphere to match try Eolus Bar and Dining or The Bookcase and Barber
13. Looking for some entertainment? Check out some live music at multiple venues in and around Downtown. Click here for a full list of entertainment options. Check out our calendar for current events and activities.
Click here to print this itinerary