1. Your dog will love our dog park! With over 5 miles of natural open space located right on the Animas River, this is designated off leash area allows plenty of space to run, play and socialize with other dogs! Public parking for the dog park is located just past the entrance of the park, at the corner of HWY 160 and Camino Del Rio. Click here for more information. Or Click here for a map.
2. After a visit to the dog park, your dog may need a quick bath! Check out Dirty Paws Dog Wash, a self-serve dog wash located behind Liquor World in the Albertsons Parking Lot at 695 Camino Del Rio. This is an easy, in-expensive, quick way to wash your dog. Shampoo is included. Click here for more information.
3. Bring your dog downtown and visit many of the dog friendly stores. Many stores provide treats and water for your pooch. Here are a few dog friendly places in Downtown Durango: Maria’s Bookshop, Gardenswartz, Durango T-shirt Company and the Durango Welcome Center. (just to name a few) Remember to please pick up after your pet while in our downtown. Dogs are not allowed to be left tied up or unattended at any time.
4. Doggy day care! When you are off on your next adventure and need a place for Fido, check out Healthy Hounds and Fat Cats located at 21738 Hwy 160 W. (located next to the dog park!) They are a full service dog daycare and boarding facility. Call ahead for reservations (970) 375-9700 . You pooch might be so happy they will want to stay longer.
5. Treat your pet with some goodies from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. They have some tasty (chocolate free) dog treats that your pet is sure to love.
6. Looking for pet supplies or food? Visit the Pet Haus located in the North Main District at 1444 Main Avenue. They are packed full with treats, food, toys and dog (and cat) supplies! Going on an adventure with your pooch? Check out Gardenswartz for dog packs, PFD’s, leashes, harnesses and more. They will get you all set up for your next adventure with your favorite pooch.
7. Looking for a place to stay with your pet? Check out all the dog friendly lodging options: Doubletree Hotel, Hampton Inn, Durango Downtown Inn, Quality Inn, Rochester Hotel, Strater Hotel and Best Western Rio Grande Inn. Check with each facility for restrictions and/or fees at the time of your reservation.
8. Durango has some of the best hiking trails to explore with your pooch. Here are a few of our favorites that aren’t too far away from Downtown. Check out Overend Mountain Trail, Animas Mountain Trail, Horse Gulch and the Colorado Trail. Visit Maria’s Bookshop for some maps & books of local hiking trails. Dogs are welcome to join you while you shop. Or Check out this interactive map from Trails 2000 here.
9. Bring your dog down the Animas River Trail! The Animas River Trail stretches 7 miles along the animas river green way. Be sure to bring your leash. Click here for a map.
10. Looking for pet friendly patio seating? Check out these locations for dining with your dog: Dandelion Cafe, Grassburger, Living Tree, Mag Pies Newsstand Cafe, Durango Coffee Company, Cold Stone Creamery, Nini’s Taqueria, (Back patio) and Bird's in the North Main District. Cool off inside while dining with your dog in Main Mall at 835 Main Avenue. Check out RGP’s Flaming Wraps and Los Amigos Del Sur. (There is plenty of seating for you and your dog in the middle of the Main Mall)
More info for dog lovers:
Did you know that Durango is home to Zukes natural dog treats? Yup! We are lucky to have their main offices right here in Durango. So pick up some Zukes treats during your visit.
Leash Laws- What you should know: Within the City limits, the City of Durango requires that all dogs be on a leash. Dogs are not allowed to be tied up along public streets and left unattended.
Off leash areas include the Durango Dog Park, The San Juan National Forest and Weminuche Wilderness area. Dogs need to be under voice command in these areas and must be within sight of their owners. Click here for directions to the Dog Park.
Need a Vet? Here are two great options that are conveniently located in the North Main Distirct: Durango Animal Hospital at 2461 Main Avenue (970) 247-3174 and Alpine Animal Hospital at 2910 Main Avenue (970) 247-5771.
Doggie social hour at the La Plata County Humane society. A fun and safe way for you doggies to play! Join us every Tuesday and Thursday evening from 5:30pm - 7:00pm for Doggie Social Hour. http://www.lpchumanesociety.org/programs.html
Click here to print this itinerary.
©2021 Durango Business Improvement District (BID)