1. Visit our beautiful Recreation Center at 2700 Main Avenue. The 71,557 sq. ft. facility is filled with fun activities for the whole family. The facility has an expansive aquatics area with a 160 ft. water slide and play structures. The kids will enjoy scrambling over the 30-ft. high rock climbing wall. And don't forget the racquet ball courts and gymnasium. The Rec Center also has a great youth games space with fun activities such as air hockey, pool table and ping pong. Click here for more information.
2. Enjoy ART at the Clay Room at 2053 Main Avenue, where kids can paint their own pottery! No reservations required. Kids can choose from different characters, bowls, piggy banks and more. Hours of Operation: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 10-5pm, Saturday 10-6pm, Sunday 10-4pm. Click here for more information.
3. Don't miss a trip to the Durango Silverton Railroad Museum. Admission is free! The museum has an interactive train model, authentic train cars for kids to explore, plus many interesting historical railroad artifacts. Click here for more information.
4. Feed the fish at the Fish Hatchery, May 15-September 15. Located at 151 E. 16th St. The facility produces more than 1.3 million fish per year, and visitors can feed the fish via coin-operated dispensers. Inside, the museum features an intimate display covering the area's wildlife. Allow 30 minutes. Bring some quarters so you can feed the fish! Click here for more information.
5. Check out the Durango Public Library at 1900 E. 3rd Ave., featuring a generous, dedicated children's section with books, interactive computer games, and puppet area. Keep current with the calendar for regular weekly events such as baby story time, fired up stories, STEAM-Tastic Friday, Lego club and more. During the summer months check out the summer reading shows on Tuesdays at 10:30am and 1pm. Click here for more information.
7. Power House Science Center- Open year-around. The Powerhouse Science Center is educational and playful place for children of all ages with hands-on learning and interactive exhibits. Hours of Operation: Saturday through Monday 9am-4pm, Wednesday through Friday 9am-1pm. Closed on Tuesday. Click here for more information.
8. Summer Time Fun! Free Concerts in Buckley Park (Mid-June through the end of July). Community Concert Hall @ Fort Lewis College, Alpine Bank and the City of Durango present: Concert Hall @ The Park. FREE live music in historic downtown Durango. Thursday night from 5-7pm. This is a great family-friendly atmosphere to kick back and relax. Bring your own lawn chairs and picnic dinner or enjoy food from one of the food venders. Schedule is available at DowntownDurango.org.More information can be found at www.durangoconcerts.com
9. Take a trip down the Animas River Trail. The river trail stretches 7 miles through Durango's Animas River Green way. The trail is a great connection to many of our parks and open spaces, including the Recreation Center, Powerhouse Science Center and more. Bike, ride, stroll down our beautiful trail. Click here for a map of the Animas River Trail.
10. Check out the Chapman Hill Rink & Ski Hill for more fun activities. (500 Florida Road) You can ice skate at the rink October to April and Rollerblade during the summer months (Mid-May through Mid-September.) Lace up your skates every Friday for Disco Night from 6:30 to 9pm all summer long. The kids will love our little in-town ski hill that offers two rope tows. Chapman Ski Hill Ski Hill opens Mid December (weather permitting) Click here for more information.
There is so much to do, you will need to plan extra trips to enjoy it all!
Click here to print this itinerary
©2017 Business Improvement District of Durango