It's the La Plata County Fair! Great Tips plus Events not to miss!
The La Plata County Fair is five days of fun. Here are some tips to make your “Fair Experience” the best ever:
- Because the Fair offers SO much to see and do, we recommend that you plan to attend a couple times over the week, especially if you have little kids. This way you can experience all the Fair fun, and exhaust your little crew in the process. Our family usually spends one day seeing the animals and the exhibits, and then we return on a second day to enjoy the carnival rides.
- The Fair has a great carnival. It’s open Wednesday, August 8 through Sunday, August 12. The best deal is to get the wristband for the kids so they can ride as many rides as they want. The wristband price is $25. You can purchase single tickets for a $1 each or 30 Tickets for $25 or 60 Tickets for $45. Rides are typically 3-5 tickets each. Hours are: Wednesday 5-10:30pm; Thursday and Friday 1pm-10:30pm; Saturday 12pm -11pm and Sunday 1pm-10pm.
- Take the time to see the animals early in the week – everything from goats and chickens to rabbits and pigs – and award winning beef cattle. Avoid going to see the animals on Sunday as they make their way to the 4-H Auction. For the kiddos, bring some quick sanitation wipes. This makes it easy to get their hands clean after seeing (and petting) all the fantastic Fair animals. Watch the little ones around the geese. They can bite!
- Tickets for the Demolition Derby do tend to sell out, but you can often get last minute tickets on Saturday morning. A handful of leftovers will be sold at the gate. The ticket office opens at 10am but get there early and be prepared to wait in line.
- Parking can be challenging over the weekend. Remember the Fairgrounds is located adjacent to the Animas River Trail, so for hassle free parking and a fun jaunt along the river, park a few blocks away and tale a stroll. The Fairgrounds is located between 24th and 29th Streets, on the east side of Main Ave.
Here is a list of some fun events the whole family will enjoy!
Thursday, August 9
Draft Animal demonstrations from noon to 5pm. See booklet for more.
Draft Animas on parade, 12pm
Driving skills Scramble, 1:45pm
Competitive Obstacle Course, 3:45pm
Draft Horse Pulling Contest, 5pm
Friday, August 10
- Live Music at the Fair by Sundance Head. Gates open at 6:30pm. Winner of Season 11 of “The Voice,” Sundance Head headlines with special guests, The Cannondolls. Tickets for general admission are $20 and Reserved Seating is $35, and available at the Durango Welcome Center, Kelly’s Cowboy Company and the Fairgrounds office.
- Talent Contest at 7pm. It’s La Plata County’s Got Talent! Come check out the talent as locals take the stage to perform a variety of acts in front of the judges. Best performance will take home some prize money!
Saturday, August 11
- Dog Show, 9am on the grassy area of the west wing. Includes obedience trials and showmanship.
- Rooster Crowing Contest, 10am. Find out which rooster can crow the loudest.
- 4-H Community BBQ, noon to 4pm on the Durango/La Plata Senior Center lawn. The BBQ is a fundraiser for the 4-H Club. Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the event. Seniors and Children 7 years and younger are $5. The meal includes barbecued beef and pork, Salad, bread, corn on the cob, dessert and a drink.
- Demolition Derby, noon. A locals’ favorite and fun for the whole family! Contestants compete to see who can be the last car running in this thrilling event. Pre-tickets are available at the La Plata County Fairgrounds office, Bayfield Pharmacy, Durango Muffler, Handlebar Motors.
- Rabbit Costume Contest, 2pm. The kids will get a kick out of seeing the rabbits all dressed up. A parade of animals follows the show.
- Fair Family Dance on the Patio, 9pm to midnight. Come dance the night away with Music provided by the High Rollers. All proceeds benefit the La Plata County 4-H. $5 per person at the door.